Friends of Birds Hill Park is in a period of exciting growth that offers a wide range of volunteering positions for its members. Friends are committed to providing members with opportunities to participate in activities that align with your interests and lifestyle.
This page outlines several volunteer opportunities. We also encourage you to explore alternative ways of participating that best suit your individual objectives, talents and interests.
If you are interested in discussing a potential position that meets your specific interests, please Contact Us and discover how you can make a difference!
Friends of Birds Hill Park has launched an ambitious Activity Plan for the coming year. New projects include the need for capital fundraising, project development and event management, along with continued organizational development. Exercise and/or develop your management skill by joining our board. The responsibilities of board members includes:
- Regularly attends monthly board meetings and important related meetings (e.g. annual meetings) typically held at Birds Hill Park).
- Participates in development of strategic plan and annual business plan
- Actively participates in at least one Board committee or project.
- Serves as an ambassador by promoting Board projects, recruiting members and participating in fundraising activities.
- Responsible for ensuring sound financial management, including development of annual budget and review of financial statements on at least a quarterly basis.
- Maintain ongoing relationship with management of Birds Hill Park in meeting mutually agreed upon objectives.
- Annually evaluates the performance of the organization in meeting its mission.
Here’s an opportunity to grow your skills in retail management. In addition to in-store sales, Friends recently launched an online store and anticipates a significant expansion to our product offering. The merchandise manager is responsible for inventory management, identifying new product offerings, sourcing supply, and shipping related to online sales.
This is a role for someone who is creative and likes to be on top of retail trends. Must love to deliver results and be able to commit to a vision. The ideal candidate would be ready to be accountable, work closely with our executive team, and share our commitment to the conservation and ecological preservation of Birds Hill Park.
- Works independently and with our merchandise consultant to develop a product line and distribution network.
- Takes the lead in updating our written merchandising plan.
- Takes primary responsibility for ensuring our Treasurer has timely access to accurate date on inventory and sales. Provides advice and seeks decisions to support same.
- Supports the development of marketing and sales communications.
- Contributes to evaluation of the success of this program.
In addition to in-store sales, Friends has recently launched an online store with a limited product offering. To better serve our members, Friends seeks a motivated individual to explore the product need of members, research new product offerings and identify competitive suppliers. Internet research is fundamental for this project.
If a country drive is more your speed this role is just for you. In this position you will independently (accompanied by a friend if you prefer) take on two primary tasks:
- As coin box courier you will periodically tour our established route of partnering stores to collect coin box donations, re-stock Friends literature, and remit donations to the Director of Finance.
- A second and equally important function involves the periodic inspection of Friends assets located throughout the Park and reporting on their physical condition. Park benches, universal access campsites and related signage are your primary targets.Its really just another opportunity to spend some leisurely time in Birds Hill Park!
Friends of Birds Hill Park is busy developing several education projects and resources that support conservation, environmental stewardship and ecological preservation. Identified projects include:
- Literature Review: to raise awareness of important research relating to Birds Hill Park, Friends would like to create an online repository of research related to cultural heritage, natural environment, plants, birds, and animals in the Park.
- Activity-related research: Chose an activity that interests you most, and help develop information resources for fellow users. Examples include a camping guide, campfire recipes, beach/swimming safety, cross-country skiing, hiking trails, birding, etc.
This is a role for someone who likes organizing and attention to detail. Can you plan an event that combines education with fun AND is suitable for a particular audience, such as families?
Friends of Birds Hill Park activities create opportunities for people to meet and mingle around our shared area of interest…Conservation and ecological preservation of Birds Hill Park for enhanced user experience. In this position you will:
- Consult with the Activity Chair and other volunteers to plan the Annual General Meeting and the Annual Clean-up and Barbecue.
- Take the lead in preparing written event plans.
- Make it happen! Ensure event timelines and budgets are met.
- Help evaluate the success of your event.